Yad Mordechai Memorial site. The kibbutz, originally founded at Mitzpeh Yam near Netanya in 1936, moved in 1943 to its present site. In May 1948, 2,500 Egyptian soldiers, with tanks, artillery and air support, attacked the kibbutz with its 130 defenders. The Egyptian attack lasted from May 19 to May 24, when the defenders withdrew. The Egyptian force had been held up sufficiently to allow the Israelis to organize for defense further north. The kibbutz was retaken in November 1948.